The Binational Fulbright Commission in Egypt

Information Sessions
Contact us
Visitors 1,649,705


  1. What are Community Colleges?

In the United States, a community college is a two year post-secondary institution that offers certificate programs, Associate of Arts degrees, Associate of Sciences degrees, plus many other programs. It is sometimes called a junior college, and can be simply described as an educational institution providing post-secondary education, granting certificates, diplomas, and associate's degrees. The name derives from the fact that community colleges primarily accept and attract students from the local community.

Application Requirements and Academic Background:

  1. If I have a bachelor’s in Accounting, am I eligible for the Business Administration field?

No, if you have graduated from a faculty of Commerce, you are not eligible to apply for a grant in the field of Business Administration, and this applied to all other specializations.

  1. Can I apply to the program if I’m still a university student?

No, university students are ineligible to apply. However, if you are currently a student in an open university, you are eligible to apply.

  1. If I am a graduate from a Technical Secondary School, am I eligible for this program?

Yes you are eligible for this program, and you need to have attained a grade no less than 70%.

  1. Are there any other conditions for application?

Yes, applicants need to be of Egyptian citizenship, between the ages of 25 – 30 and have a minimum TOEFL score of 400 (ITP) or its equivalent.

  1. Where can I take a TOEFL exam? And are there specified centers at which I need to take it, or can I take it at any language center?

For those residing in Cairo and Alexandria, you have to take your TOEFL exam at AMIDEAST. For those residing in other governorates, please review the list of ETS approved centers outlined below. If a TOEFL score sheet issued from a center not listed below is submitted, it will not be accepted and your application form will not be processed.


Designated Governorate or City

American Canadian Center (ACC)

Menoufia, Qalubia, Kafr El Sheikh, Tanta and Mahala

Beni Suef University

Beni Suef

MASRYA  center

Sohag, New Valley, Qena, Luxor, Aswan, Hurghada and Safaga

Mansoura University



  1. Is there a certain TOEFL score that I need to obtain in order to apply to the program?

Yes, you need to get a minimum score of 400 (ITP) on your TOEFL score, or its equivalent.


  1. Can I choose a particular community college that I want to attend?

No, placement decisions are made in the U.S. However, you are advised to clearly indicate your study objectives in the application form in order for you to be placed in the Community College that best serves these objectives.

  1. Can I specify if I want to be placed in an Associate of Applied Science or a Certificate program?

No, that decision will be made in the U.S. based on what better suits your needs taking into consideration other budgetary restraints.

  1. Can I transfer to a four year institution after I finish?

No, this program doesn’t allow you to do so. If you wish to do so, you will have to return to Egypt first and apply for an F visa. You may not continue using the J visa that will be issued for your program duration.

  1. When will I know the final selection results?

By January 2015

  1. When will I know which community college I was placed in?

By April – May 2015

  1. If I’m selected, when do I travel to the U.S.?

Around July - August 2015


Citizenship and Visa Requirements:

  1. Can I apply to the program if I have a green card or an American passport?

No, if you have a green card or an American passport, you will be ineligible for the program.

  1. Can I apply if I have a dual citizenship?

Yes, as long as Egyptian is one of them and that American is NOT one of them.

  1. Can I work in the U.S. after I complete the program?

No, you will travel under J-1 visa for this program. One of its regulations is the two-year home stay regulation which states that you may not apply for an immigrant visa or work visa to the U.S. until you have spent two years at your home country.  These two years must not be consecutive, they may be accumulative.

  1. If I’m married, can I bring my family with me?

No, this program doesn’t allow family members to accompany grantees.

Application Procedure and Timeline:

  1. Can I apply online or send my application by email?

No, we only accept hard copies of applications. You have to submit one original and three copies. You may send it by mail if you wish to do so, visit the Commission and submit it, or send it with a messenger (you do not have to submit your application in person, but in this case, ensuring the completion of application form contents such as questions' answers, attachments and information are the sole responsibility of the applicant).

  1. Do I have to submit my transcripts with the application form before the deadline?

Yes, you have to submit one copy of your secondary school transcript or its equivalence. Applications that do not include these transcripts will be disqualified.

  1. Are there any additional documents I need to submit?

Yes, you need to submit a copy of your valid identification card (ID).

Interviewing Process:

  1. Will everyone who applies be invited for the interview?

No, applicants who meet the program’s eligibility criteria will be invited for the interview.

Copyright©2007 The Binational Fulbright Commission in Egypt
This site is developed and hosted by
The American Chamber of Commerce in Egypt